Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
This verse tells me I need to allow God authority over my life and follow His leading. Give Him control of every aspect of my life. When I comply and obey, there is such comfort in knowing He is watching over me and my life. Think about what are the "aspects of your life" such as work, home, family, hobbies, health or eating habits, exercise etc. He wants what is best for me, just like a shepherd wants the best for his sheep. Do I trust Him enough? Do I want to obey? Do I want to serve? Do I want to love? All of these questions relate to my heart attitude. If God is my Shepherd... What does this mean to you? Think about words like provider, caretaker, love, compassion, obedience, sharing, guidance.
We are promised that we shall not be in want. What does this promise mean? to you? Be careful, wanting and needing are not the same thing. But what about starving children?
He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters.
Here God is encouraging to quiet our hearts and seek Him. Picture in your mind laying down in a huge meadow of grasses or wildflowers. Look up at the sky, what color is it? See the clouds? Is there a small breeze? Or picture yourself sitting beside a small creek that has a few small rocks causing a rippling sound. Lots of green surrounding you in flowers, trees and grass. Breath deep, what do you smell?
You see, God wants us to take time to be quiet and listen. Listen to the world He created as well as for the Holy Spirit. You can close your eyes anywhere (except driving) and unfold a scene that takes you to a quiet place. It is good for your soul to learn to relax, breath deep and listen! Here is when He can restore your soul! Let go of that stress, tension, your own agenda...
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
He guides - not drags kicking and screaming! You must be willing and committed. His path is not always the clearest, straightest, or easiest. His way is always the best for you. Notice that in the above verse He wants us to sit quiet, THEN He can guide us! And why should we want to follow His leading? (think about this for yourself) To bring glory to His name! Make sure you have that as your motive and not your own pride or agenda!
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me.
Having dealt with some real depression, this verse reminds me of the darkness that I was in. I did not fear God or death. I knew God was with me and that He would love me, even if I took my own life, because He knew the pain I was in. While this was not His will, I knew He understood my hurt. Yes, He walked me through that valley of death and I chose to allow Him to comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You annoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
God sends us out into the world to do His work. Work that takes us to unholy people. But, by looking at the above verses, we go out prepared and readied for the work ahead. So by following the above guidelines, we are girded up for the battle of sharing God's love with those in our lives. We are annointed and blessed by God for the work ahead. Are you ready, willing and rested (prepared)?
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life
Are you looking for God's goodness or are you living in the negative? Do you acknowledge God's blessings?
It says love will follow you... Are you leaving a trail of love? or are you leaving discension and unrest, stress and tension?
All the days of your life. That means even when we don't feel His goodness or feel like loving those around us! OUch! Just remember that Jesus probably did not feel like hanging on the cross that day for our sins either! He could have been home making furniture!
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!
Isn't this what we all want? Can you just picture a praise and worship service full of people who love the Lord and we are all singing with hearts toward God. Can you hear the song? The music? Talk about feeling the 'love'! There would be rockin' in the church tonight!
So to sum up Psalm 23, I see it telling me that God is our only guide (not the news, Hollywood or our friends). We are to be content. We need to take time to rest our souls (as well as our bodies). When we do these things, we will gain courage and strength for whatever lies ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment