Last week in 5Day Club I got talking to Penny Myers who runs the "store" in the Foster Care System of Akron. In her "store" foster parents are able to pick up 4 outfits, 2 jammies, underwear (if they have any), shoes and a coat. She was in need of someone to make large totes for these items to go into as well as allow the foster child to take with them in the future.
Well, that seemed right up my alley! I found a great pattern online at www.lazygirldesigns.com/blog
Mandy and I had a great time brainstorming of ways to decorate and make the bags fun. After I have given Penny a supply, I will slow down and make some really fun bags and maybe put crayons and coloring book in front pocket or decorate with fun buttons or embroider something... My mind is out of control!
So here are the two I made as examples today. Carrie is going to drop them off at Penny's house and I am anxious to hear if this is what Penny had in mind. Isn't it great that Carrie lives very close to Penny!?
I found the strap fabric in amish country last week at Zink's. Like always at Zink's it is a very large roll and I bought 4 of them!
And of course, I have plenty of fabric:
You will also notice in the first picture two packs of socks. Penny is always in need of all sizes of socks and underwear for the foster kids. If you see any on sale and would like to donate, I would be very happy to pass on to Penny for the foster kids!
If you think of any fun ways to make these bags enjoyable for the foster kids, please let me know!



3 comments:
I'll start buying some stuff when I see it on sale. What a cute idea. There are iron on things that would be cute on these bags!
And is your "Hats for Honduras" program still active?
Nope. couldn't get involvement.
Post a Comment