Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What are you doing?

You know that line in "You've Got Mail" when Tom Hanks asks Meg Ryan what she is doing with her mom in the picture behind the store counter?  Her response is that she is "twirling". 

So Julie skype's me today and asks "what am I doing"?  I tell her I am folding.  Not twirling and thankfully not ironing (got that all done). 

And so I can hear you asking yourself, why would anyone be folding and what would they be folding besides laundry and as it is wednesday, laundry must be done!  Well, yesterday I was at Jan's and she had some new sewing/organization magazines.  We were chatting and leafing through them on our break from cleaning out some closets (I pulled a Mandy on her and made her eliminate the unneccesary).  I came across a picture of a sewing room much like mine but her seemed so much more peaceful.  Why, I wondered?!

Well here is a picture of one of my shelves before the folding:


Call me crazy, but this does seem a little messy.  And, considering I have several bookshelves in my sewing room, perhaps this is bothering me more than I realized. 

So, I am folding today!  Here is a picture of the one bookshelf with one shelf done and one almost done.  I think it might make a big difference to my "zen" as Julie said!



So, am I crazy or don't the top two shelves look a ton better than the bottom three shelves!  Tedious, but so worth it to me! 

I think this can be said of our lives too. Often my life gets so cluttered with so much stuff, activities and good intentions. I think God wants us to simplify and declutter our lives so that we are able to see what He would have us to be doing and also to enjoy the work He has given us to do. 

Now, if i could just get this room painted!

Update:  3:35 and just finished.  It took most of the day to get the bookcase settled!


That is a crazy amount of fabric that I inherited from my mother in law!  I did throw out two bags of small pieces that were pretty useless unless I wanted to dig for them.  I am happy with the outcome and am ready to get back working on my four promised "Eye Spy" quilts.

4 comments:

Julie said...

What a big improvement!!! Looks much better!

Julie said...

Now that is peaceful!

Chartering New Waters said...

Wow, I was just in that room...it makes a huge difference!

Get to work! :)

knitpic said...

Thank you for your comments. At least I am not the only anal compulsive organizer in this family!