I labeled this blog today as "friday" because I was so confused yesterday what day it was! Rod took the day off to work in the mudroom. All the drywall is up and the wiring done. Today he will put the last layer of mud on. I kept thinking yesterday was saturday and that today would be sunday. So I guess today is a bonus day!
Yesterday I met with Janet Paul. She has recently joined Try Ministries which is a post prison ministry for women. They get them in the doors by offering job training skills. They give their services for free if the woman completes an 8 week Bible Study. That sounds so manipulative, but they work with a lot more grace and love than I can communicate here. I met with janet because I wanted to see how I could help within the parameters of my life.
The first task I will take on is to become a prayer warrior for Janet. Satan does not want her reaching out to these women. I hope to keep in contact with Janet to know what areas to be praying.
Then the next job I am thinking about taking on is to create starter bags for the women. They come out of prison with nothing. And I mean nothing. Often, no clothes, no coat, no underwear, no toiletries etc. I mentioned collecting clothing and Janet got really interested. She remembered they have shelves in the basement of their offices that could store the donated items. So, if you have any clothes you don't need, please save them for me and I will get them to the ladies. Can you imagine how grateful they would be to be handed a new outfit or two? As for the starter bags, I am going to be working with my church and anyone else who would like to participate to collect certain items each month. Kelly has agreed to put a short list in the bulletin every week telling of this month's collection item as well as next months so that they can watch for sales. Now I just have to work up the list...
They also have need of used-but good condition-Bibles, Bible Study books and christian novels.
I am also going to be offering sewing (and mending) classes, knitting and maybe even some cooking lessons. I will be offering to teach them to sew an apron as many of the women donate their time to help serve at a Free Lunch Ministry on wednesdays. Janet has also asked me to sew several aprons for the girls who work the lunch. So the apron project could/would be a teaching as well as practical, usable item. Most women come out of prison already defeated in life. These small projects could be a small window of hope and usefulness for them. Try Ministries uses the motto of a "Hand Up" meaning instead of a hand out, they offer a hand to help them out of the pit they have gotten in. All because of the love of Jesus!
Please let me know if you are interested in helping me help this ministry.
PS. I found a place for my Pfaltzgraph. The men's side of this Try Minstries is opening two houses for men to get started after coming out of prison. The dishes will be divided up between the two houses. I am so happy about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment