Today I am thinking of the Bible verse I felt led to choose as my life verse many years ago.
Micah 6:8
“He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
To look at this verse like I would have with my Bible study group, means I need to look at individual words, thoughts and applications. This is one of those verses I can read many times and different thoughts can linger with me. I call it “chewing on it.” To get busy with my day, but over and over consider what the verse is telling me. How is it moving me? What is God’s chracter shown in this verse? I often leave my Bible open on my footstool and reread the verse every time I sit down to remind me to keep chewing on it.
I like to search out common words and look them up in an online dictionary. Words like require, justly, mercy, and humbly. When I break it down, I see so much more that I would have quickly passed over.
I am also considering what God means by saying “He has showed us what is good”. When we look at Jesus, we see exactly what God means in this statement. The culture we live in tends to focus on what is wrong, bad, deteriorating, and just plain taking our focus and hearts off of God’s glory. But when we spend time in His Word, we see see what God really wants for us is peace, joy, fulfillment and freedom. Freedom from society boundaries that are contrary to His plan for our lives.
I love the verse in Psalms:
“ For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”
This is Psalms 139:13-14.
God created each of us. We need to search His Word and discover His plan for each of us. Like we read in Jeremiah 29:11
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
God knows what is best for us because He created each of us. There is no one else like you or me. Really look at the word prosper (as in the dictionary). God is not promising financial prosperity or social properity. He wants so much more than that for us. His prosperity involves sharing our hearts and lives with people He has placed in our lives. Building relationships that draws hearts to Him. Prosperity to God means encouragement, love, forgiveness etc. kinda like my life verse says what is good - to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God.
Here is a fun fact: There is a building right next to Central Park in New York City that has my life verse carved into the stone. I could not believe it when I saw it!
Do you have a life verse? Would love to have you share it here with me.
Ps. Yes, I had to point out the knitting reference in scripture. 😍
Still trying to get the comments button to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment