Friday, July 6, 2012

Alone and having fun

Last week, while in The Blue Purl Yarn Shop in Madison, NJ, a lady began sharing with me the benefits of putting your stash on ravelry.  She made it sound so easy, so I decided to give it a try.  I have several bins of really nice yarn and not a clue how much or where anything is, so yesterday I pulled it all down and began to organize, count and enter onto Ravelry.  It was addicting seeing the list grow.  I loved finding yummy yarn I had forgotten about; yarn that had been gifts from my daughters...  At 8:30 last night, I was pretty much done.  All the bins numbered and put back on the shelf.  I could see on Ravelry what I had and had made notes of where it came from and what needles it suggested etc.

So this morning I got up and decided to see what I could do with all that info and work I had done yesterday.  To simplify: I now have 27 projects ready for knitting!  I found so many things I could do with the yarn.  Ravelry tells me what other people have knit with the yarn and that got my creative juices going.  I even found out that one of my favorite books "The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns" Basic designs for hats and  mittens, had a couple updated revisions.

But I had to put the brakes on all the projects that were screaming to get started and focus on what to work on next week when we go back to NJ.  I am busy with 3 sets of baby sweaters with hats, but need a project to work on while hanging out a The Blue Purl.  I had bought some beautiful yarn called Gina by Plymouth and it has a beautiful flow of colors.  Someone was knitting a man's scarf in greens.  I picked out the yarn in shades of pink, purple and a little bit of teal.  (While categorizing my yarns on Ravelry, I noticed that I had an overabundance of pink shades in my stash-note to self-try something new!).  But I digress:  so here is the pretty scarf pattern I found on ravelry while looking up the particular yarn that I had:


I will post another picture when I have used all of one ball.  I think it is gonna be really pretty.

No comments: