One thing I miss a lot in the winter is working in my flower and herb gardens. I have always dreamed of owning a large greenhouse to play in all winter. I have never had a southern exposed window that would allow me to grow plants indoors till this house.
A few weeks ago I found three rosemary plants and have been happily tending my winter garden indoors. Then, right before Christmas I found two basil and one celantro plant. I had also brought in a pot of my chives from the summer garden.
Today on January 2, 2011 I got to play in the dirt! I am so happy: dirt under my fingernails! Potting soil all over my kitchen floor and even some in the clean dish drainer - with clean dishes; but I do not care! I got to replant all my herbs into larger pots and water them.
It may seem little to some of you, but to me it is a little taste of sunshine. This window in my kitchen does get a great amount of sun in the winter once the leaves fall off the tree so it just makes me smile every time I walk into my kitchen and see all these healthy and happy plants!
Every year I pick a scripture verse and this year I picked Matthew 11:28-30. Some might think I picked it to find rest after a week of craziness with 12 people in this house over Christmas, but that it not why. I picked it because lately I have been really desiring to develop a gentle and humble spirit. One that does not react emotionally to every little thing; one that thinks before she speaks; one who prays before she worries... I want to really trust the God I believe in and I want to have a powerful testimony in my life. And isn't it just like God to show us that the best way to impact people is to have a quiet and gentle spirit, and not by outward appearances and successes. He promises me in these verses that we can learn from Him, the Master, how to find rest and that is through seeking this quiet and gentle spirit that only can grow if we truly trust Him with lifes crazinesses!
Happy New Year!

No comments:
Post a Comment